Now in its ninth year, BIC is the main pitching competition for early-stage life sciences companies in Atlantic Canada. The prize for the winner this year will be $25,000 in seed funding and a $30,000 advisory services package to develop the business idea.
The BIC semi-finalists will also receive pitch training from coach Linda Plano.
The semi-finalists are:
- AffinityImmuno Inc., Jonathan Zuccolo, P.E.I. – AffinityImmuno is a platform for rapid drug lead discovery using the chicken immune system.
- Dr. Gordon’s Bum Cream, Ann Gordon, Nova Scotia – Gordon has developed a fast-acting, complex compounded skin cream to treat infectious or non-infectious Candidal Intertrigo. It’s an inflammatory skin rash that occurs when skin contacts moisture.
- Fieldetect Inc., Andrew Trivett, William Whalen, P.E.I. – FieldLAMP is a “point-of-care” agricultural and environmental pathogen detection tool that eliminates the need for laboratory analysis when making treatment decisions based on the detection of pathogens.
- Motryx, Franziska Broell, Nova Scotia – Motryx is developing high-resolution, wireless, water and temperature resistant data-loggers (“tags”) with data analysis capabilities.
- MRB Beverage Corp., Gregg Curwin, Mary Lynch, Nova Scotia – MRB is developing an organic, plant-based meal replacement that is suitable for ill and healthy people who cannot tolerate or prefer an alternative to existing products.
- Reach Orthopaedics Inc., David Johnston, Andrew Trenholm, Nova Scotia – Reach is developing a novel shoulder implant, designed to treat patients with massive irreparable rotator cuff tears.
- Sparrow Acoustics Inc., Nadia Ivanova, Nova Scotia – Sparrow Acoustics is developing a product that conducts patient cardiac assessment quickly and cheaply using proprietary acoustic algorithms and models with artificial intelligence.
- Spirits by the Sea, Sabrena MacKenzie, Nova Scotia – Spirits by the Sea has developed a proprietary process to extract valuable products from organic waste materials.
Since its inception in 2011, BIC has provided more than $300,000 in cash and in-kind services to winning startups, and provided over 50 companies training in pitching and business development.
You can buy tickets for BioPort here.